COVID-19 POLICIES & REHEARSAL PROTOCOLS 2021-2022
We at the Calgary Children’s Choir (CCC) are excitedly anticipating the return of group singing!
The last 18 months have been difficult on many levels and we know that music and singing together are so important to us all, providing community connections and positive mental health benefits. We remain committed to providing an environment which enables the joy of singing, while maintaining a safe experience for choristers, staff, and volunteers alike.
Our staff and board of directors have been looking at evidence based strategies to promote health and safety, and adjustments are being implemented to safely deliver our programs. We are in the process of finalizing our plans for the upcoming season. The information below is intended to provide what we know to this date, and updates will be given as we go along if changes are deemed necessary.
The following is a living document, subject to change according to the most current research and/or government and public health official guidelines.
The CCC believes that all members of the organization play a very important role in keeping other singers, directors, accompanists and staff safe. Although individual families may have different routines at home with respect to the control of the spread of COVID-19, the CCC is prioritizing safety for our choristers, families, staff and volunteers.
ii) Maintaining our ability to hold in-person rehearsals:
We believe by implementing the multi-layered approach described below, we will have the best chance of maintaining in-person rehearsals and the least likelihood of disruptions related to quarantining.
2. IN-PERSON REHEARSAL PROTOCOLS
We ask for your adherence to the following protocols below:
i) Stay home if you are sick. This includes singers and staff. Complete the COVID symptom checklist prior to each rehearsal. You should stay home if you can answer yes to any of the following questions:
- Are you currently awaiting the result of a COVID-19 test or have you received a positive COVID-19 test result in the past 10 days?
- Have you been in close contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have you been instructed by AHS to self-isolate?
- Do you have a fever of 38 degrees celsius or higher?
- Do you have difficulty breathing, cough, sore throat, runny nose or feel unwell?
- Have you lost your sense of taste or smell?
- Have you returned from outside of Canada in the past 14 days?
ii) Physical distancing. Maintain 6 feet distance from others. Chairs will be distanced for rehearsals (this actually makes for better singing overall!) Choristers will be asked to follow directions for one-way traffic when entering and exiting the building.
iii) Hand-sanitizing when entering the building.
iv) Masks must be worn over the mouth and nose at all times.
v) Sharing of music, pencils, food and beverages is not permitted.
vi) Families will not be permitted to wait in the building during rehearsals.
vii) Ventilation. Whenever possible, doors and windows will be opened to the rehearsal rooms to provide fresh air.
3. IN-PERSON VS. VIRTUAL LEARNING
CCC had no instances of COVID-19 spread in the spring and will continue with all evidence based practices. Policy changes will be made by the manager in consultation with the board of directors and artistic director and will be based upon local guidelines, as well as current research and best practices in choral education as it pertains to the COVID-19 pandemic. Additionally, staff and singer illness may impact decisions. If rehearsals transition to online, refunds for payments may be considered depending on what point in the season the transition occurs.
CCC is not requiring singers to be vaccinated at this time. The directors and manager at CCC are fully vaccinated and it is the belief of the organization that vaccination for those eligible is part of a return to normalcy. We would like to encourage you to do your part for the community and go get vaccinated (if you can) ! Evidence shows that COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective.
5. VARIANTS OF CONCERN
CCC is following all developments in the pandemic closely, including the new concerns about variants such as Delta. Because the Delta variant is more infectious and many of our singers are too young to be vaccinated, please make sure to send your singer with a well fitting and comfortable mask.
6. ADDITIONAL NOTES;
- Thank you to singers and families for following all directions.
- Staff will assist singers in maintaining social distancing at all times and when entering and exiting the building.
- Restrooms are strictly for singers and staff only.
- Please be on time for the start and end of rehearsal to allow for an efficient use of class time. When possible, please have your child use the restroom before coming to rehearsal.
- Avoid touching your face. If you must touch your face: the safe way to do so is to sanitize your hands immediately before and immediately after.
- Parents, please review respiratory and hand hygiene with your child on a regular basis.
- Hand sanitizer and wipes will be available as needed.
7. SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES:
Tour: In the event of a tour (CCC & CYC), all touring members must be fully vaccinated, if eligible, for COVID-19. There will be no exceptions to this rule as we must be prepared for what the destination country may require for entry.
Camp: This applies to CJC, CCC & CYC only. We do not require choristers to be vaccinated to attend camp, however, adult chaperone volunteers and staff are required to be fully vaccinated. In addition to other prevention measures such as physical distancing and masking indoors, choristers will be grouped in small cohorts throughout camp to limit exposure to others.